THE CITY AND ITS CULINARY TRADITIONS
Home to 16 of the 56 indigenous groups of Mexico, Oaxaca is the most ethnically diverse state of the country—a trait visible in every aspect of the city and its daily life.
Colonial buildings decorated with contrasting colors and green sandstone set the stage for imposing barroque churches and convents, bustling markets, intricate local arts and textiles, and an exquisitely complex cuisine based on traditions as old as the archeological sites of the city.
In this 6 night, 7 day immersion trip we will venture inside all the costumes and cultural aspects of Oaxaca in a way only locals know how to.
We will dine at both high-end restaurants and off-the-beaten path street stands to experience the classic regional specialties and contrast them with the more modern Chef reinterpretations. We will visit the smaller towns surrounding the city for an up-close look of the deeper traditions, the handcrafts, the traces of Spanish colonialism and the Zapotec culture leftover at the ruins of Montealbán.
Let Iliana de la Vega, acclaimed Chef and Mexican cuisine specialist and Isabel Torrealba, a Cultural Anthropologist from UT Austin, guide you through the backstreets and traditions of this stunning city. As former long-time residents and owners of an internationally acclaimed restaurant, the original El Naranjo, we know where to go.
Please fill out this form and we will respond within 24 hours.
If you are interested in visiting a different city in Mexico or have something specific that you want for your trip, we are happy to costumize a tour to satisfy your needs and wants. Please contact us for more information.
A FEW OF THE EXPERIENCES INCLUDE:
- GUIDEN VISIT TO ALL DE IMPORTANT LANDMARKS: Montealbán (pyramid complex), Santo Domingo (convent and temple), Botanical gardens and El Tule.
- VISIT TO AN OPEN AIR MARKET
- COOKING CLASS with Chef Iliana de la Vega; cheese, tortilla & Mezcal cocktail demo.
- SHOPPING THE LOCAR ARTS: textiles, pottery, Alebrijes (whimsical wooden figurines).
DATES & PRICES
OCTOBER 15th-21st (7 days, 6 nights)
COST: $2,000 dlls. per person.*
- Transportation to and from airport.
- All meals with group (alcohol not included).
- Guided visits to all activities, cooking demos and ingredients.
- Stay at a colonial boutique hotel in downtown Oaxaca.
*Does not include airfare.